Saturday, May 26, 2012

WIP: 1/144 RG Char's Zaku II - Wet Sanding and a Ton of Patience

It was a nice sunny weekend. Nothing much to do, nowhere else to go to, not much cash in my pocket...I am stuck in my hobby room (with my wife). I took the time to "revive" my old 1/144 RG Char's Zaku II and I decided to give it a nice paint job.



This Zaku was completed last June 2011. Back then, I thought this was already a "good-to-go" model kit. I simply snap-fitted, applied top coat, used the sticker decals, and even used a Gundam Marker for panel lining.


There was nothing wrong with it except for my current preference with Real Grade kits - MUST BE PAINTED! So I did. I dismantled the Red Zaku, carefully removed the Stickers - which was a real pain - and applied wet sanding. Wet sanding was done by using a 320, 600 grit sandpaper dipped in water.

I think the major difference with dry sanding was the smoothness of the piece after the sanding process. And of course, minimal plastic dust. Look at my hand after sanding those small pieces...
Halfway through. It was already past midnight...

Sanding was completed the next day. I'm finally off to painting!

This will be my 2nd painted Real Grade model kit. The first one was the Strike Gundam which was part of the Couples Gundam - Commissioned work... (those days...).


Ready for "dish-washing". I will start the final cleaning process before proceeding to the painting session.

Stay tuned. Thanks for dropping by.

0 comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...